2.6.6. Measurement of a consumption of oil
The consumption of oil of the internal combustion engine is meant as amount of the oil consumed as a result of combustion process. The consumption of oil should not be confused to loss of oil owing to leaks through consolidations of the oil pallet and a cover of a head of the block of cylinders.
Engine oil is intended for division of surfaces of friction by an oil film, that is for prevention of dry friction, and also the heat removal made by friction and removals of products of combustion.
All this leads to a gradual consumption of oil in operating time of the engine.
Except service conditions, the consumption of oil is influenced by style of driving and production admissions.
It is necessary to add oil when its level falls below the mark "MIN" in the probe for measurement of level.
It is also important to guarantee that the level of oil did not exceed the mark "MAX" in the probe for measurement of level as it can lead to the increased oil consumption.
As the consumption of oil is defined by technical factors, it is possible to draw a conclusion that the engine does not consume oil at certain operational modes which lead to oil fluidifying.
On condition of frequent start-up from a cold condition in the beginning of the movement, before achievement by the engine of working temperature, the oil getting back to the oil pallet carries away with itself fuel. Fuel "dissolves" oil and its level rises.
Such dissolved oil loses the greasing ability and can cause damage of the engine if the ordered oil replacement intervals are not observed.
The movement mainly in city conditions, at not heated-up engine, with a frequency of rotation of the crankshaft above turns of idling is the main reason of fluidifying of oil.
As the consumption of oil is stabilized only after several thousand kilometers of a run, the size of its expense cannot be established precisely before achievement of a run about 7500 km.
Before measurement of a consumption of oil be convinced that the engine does not lose oil because of leak.
The oil probe can be used only to check oil level. The engine has to be switched off at least for 5 миндо checks of level of oil. If after replacement the maximum volume of the filled-in oil does not correspond to the maximum level on the probe, necessary production admissions are the reason of it.
All information of rather admissible consumption of engine oil and filling volumes is in "User's guide" and the service book.
Procedure of check
1. For check the car has to be installed on a horizontal surface, and the engine is heated-up up to the working temperature (temperature of engine oil not less than 80 °C).
2. Merge engine oil immediately after switching off of the engine. Discharge time – about 30 min. (this value is received at technical tests).
3. The amount of the merged engine oil is defined by means of a measuring container. The container is filled with new oil up to the maximum filling volume from which subtract the volume of the oil remaining in an oil filter.
4. This amount of engine oil has to be enough for a run in 1000 km without the need for a doliv (road conditions and style of driving should not change).
5. After that the previous procedure (items 1 and 2) with the same time of discharge of oil repeats.
6. The amount of the oil which now is "absent" in a measuring container is equal to a consumption of engine oil for this run.
7. The consumption of oil is calculated as follows: amount of the filled-in oil (l) – amount of the merged oil (l) + the general run (km) x 1000 = an oil consumption (l / 1000 km).